Information about the Phone Applications [UPDATE: RELEASED!]

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM

There have been some snags with the Android Application that we are working hard to fix and get posted. We are extremely close to getting the other ones up as well. I apologize that the timing for those didn't coincide with our launch as well as we would have liked.

If you are a developer / feeling extremely adventurous, the phone applications are also open source and located at mayhemphone.codeplex.com. You could play with those (at your own risk), or just hang on for the official versions on the market place coming soon.

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Thank you for the information. I'll play with the Android Application source code.

PS: Thank you for introducing this Platform. I am an android dev but I'll try the Windows 8 based phone soon as I can see a good dev friendly eco-system coming up. Congratulations to the entire team! 

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Looking forward the iPhone mayhem app...

Coordinator
Mar 14, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Update! We have finally made it through all the hoops to get our account set up on the Windows Marketplace. The windows phone application has been submitted and should be live soon.

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

What about App Store?

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Is it possible to have some links in the documentation, about where to find the Android / iPhone / WP applications ? How to use a phone is not clearly explained, and would deserve some dedicated documents, explaining : download the Mayhem module, install it by double-clicking on it, add a phone event, accept the phone server installation, click on the "pair with phone". In the meantime, on the phone, download the application (link ?), run it and capture the QR code on Mayhem screen from this application.

This is what I have understood, and now I am going to look for an Android application somewhere (app market ? internet ? Codeplex ?), but that would be nice to have a document for that. Also, this document would explain why Mayhem show an interface with one button, and allows to change the text and image. It sounds like one has to prepare a button before sending it to the phone, but can't we create many ? How ? There are lots of questions...

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I think it would be a good idea to add mayhemphone to the "related projects" on Mayhem Codeplex site welcome page.

Coordinator
Mar 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Update! The App has been submitted on all of the Marketplaces and we are waiting for it to get signed off on iPhone and Windows Phone before we flip the switch on the Android app.

jpgouigoux, hopefully that update and the comments earlier in this discussion clear up part of your question (where are the apps). Regarding how to use it, we will likely be creating a video or something to explain it and do a walk through. Our intro video does some explanation and shows a button being added to the phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGB4yBoX-To  This is also the video that is embedded on our home page.

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Great to know that the applications will be available on the markets! Particularly because building the Android application from source is not obvious for a .NET developer...

Thanks for the video, I am going to check that. But which home page are you talking about ? I do not see any video on the welcome page, but only a bitmap showing a screen capture on the right hand side of the project description...

Coordinator
Mar 18, 2012 at 8:51 PM

The video is on the project home page: http://makemayhem.com

There is also a link on the home page of this repository.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM

OK, this home page! I was thinking of the welcome page on Codeplex (this is where I stumbled on the project initially). Thanks,

JP

Coordinator
Mar 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Update: The iOS and Android applications are online! Now we are just waiting for the Windows Phone Marketplace.

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Edited Mar 24, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Links to the apps would be nice, because I can't seem to find them.

*Edit - Found the Android one : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Mayhem.Android

Coordinator
Mar 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM

iOS marketplace: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mayhem-remote/id511125683?ls=1&mt=8

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:58 AM

anything yet on the windows phone app?
i have a presentation monday and could really use it.

thanks

Coordinator
Apr 3, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Edited Apr 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM

The windows phone app was not approved for a usability problem on the main page. They don't like that we show the message "connecting" for more than three seconds. This requires some changes to the way we handle connections and the flow of the app. We are working on getting this fixed but don't currently have a specific estimate as to when it will be avaliable for WP7. :-/

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Oh the irony...  Well congratulations on getting it on the Android and iPhone markets.  Works great on the Evo 4G, iPhone 4 (and 4S), and iPad.  Very cool!!  Looking forward to demonstrating it on my WP7 device.

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Anything yet ?

Coordinator
Apr 23, 2012 at 3:50 AM

We modified the windows phone app per the usability "issues" they were having and resubmitted it. As commented on in this article: http://www.wpcentral.com/high-submission-rate-and-app-updates-windows-phone-marketplace-causing-delays It can take around a week to hear back (of which we still aren't sure if they will find some new issue with it).

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Any chance that you will produce an app for symbian? I know it is a dying platform but user wise, there are still a lot of us, I have an Nokia N8. Cheers!

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2012 at 1:31 AM

We are currently not planning to develop a Symbian application. If you are interested in building one for Symbian that would be really cool. It's a pretty straighforward application, you have a QR code reader that can get the ip&port from the image, then convert that into a valid url string. You then embed a web browser in the application and point it at that URL. That's technically all you need to get it to work!

If you want to look at our source code for the other applications to be able to compare, they are open source here: http://mayhemphone.codeplex.com/

Coordinator
Apr 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM

The windows phone application has been certified and published! It will take a while to propagate through all the servers and be avaliable in all the countries. I believe when it is up, this link will go live: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/f91d2576-5826-4d26-a279-5f683c645883

We did it!

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Sweet !!!

you guys/gals rock....

time to promote when published

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Its live and ready !!

Coordinator
Apr 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Heh, I literally just saw that and was coming to post here!

Everyone, we now officially have the Mayhem Remote application live on all three marketplaces!

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Is there another way to sync them together if there is

no WiFi access or network connectivity say at a customer site

to showcase?

Coordinator
Apr 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM

The way the module is currently written, it requires you to be on the same local network.

It is reasonable that it could be rewritten to use something like Azure in the future, but we currently do not have plans to make that rewrite.

I would recommend bringing your own router with you. All you need to do is plug it into power and have your devices connect to that. You don't even need to have it have access to the internet to be able to demo it.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Hello,
Curreltly, Mayhem is not available in the French Windows Phone 8 marketplace (and I guess in some others).
Will it be available there someday ? What prevents you from distributing the application outside the US ?
Regards