This project is read-only.

Phone Controls and Sharing Data across Reactions

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Hey Mayhem Team,

first of all thanks for this great application. I've been looking for something like this some time now. Mainly to create a Midi controller. Mayhem is suited great, since the latency between the trigger and the reaction is very low. I currently use a Windows Phone to trigger reactions. Are there plans to include other controls than buttons? Like sliders and checkboxes? Do you think it will be possible to send feedback to the Windows Phone UI, to Change states?

I have also another question. I'm as stated above working on a few Midi Reactions. For these reactions I have to create a Midi Output device. The device is addressed by a ID that depends on the number of currently available devices (in short: the ID is not constant. When I reopen the App the ID might have changed). Currently I open a dialog in the constructor (due to some framework related stuff). Is there a service that I can use to pass this MidiDevice to other reactions? Or can I expose it somehow?

Regards

Chris

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Edited Jun 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Hi Chris, I'm glad you are enjoying Mayhem!

In terms of other controls on the phone remotes, we are currently not planning development on that. Since events are just actions that tell the reaction to "go", things like sliders don't really fit into that model.

For the Midi Reactions needing to share access to a MidiDevice, what we have done in the past is create a manager that is pretty much just a singleton access to the resource that all the reactions share. For an example of how this works, take a look at our Kinect Manager located here: http://mayhem.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/84be196cb4bf#Modules%2fKinectModules%2fKinectManager.cs

Does that answer your question?

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Thanks for your answer. That makes things clear. I hope that more triggers get added in future version however I can see that they need to be carefully planned. I will take a look at the singleton class, thanks for the link.